We think with a good online forums and engaged community, our products will be better. Currently we use Discourse as an online community for Notes Plus/INKredible. Discourse is chosen because of some reasons:
- It gives the community tools that help to ensure that the most valuable information gets elevated and gets the most visibility
- Simple and intuitive user interface.
- Flat discussion model as opposed to cluttered sub-forums.
- Rich content can be embedded in discussions (e.g. Markdown, videos, images etc) which enrich the kind of discussions people can have.
- Good tools for quoting snippets of discussion and replying to points. This makes discussions easier.
- Well thought-out categories. Useful for grouping discussions or providing specific content views (e.g. I use a category here for job opportunities, so linking to that category can show all jobs).
- Good user personalization (e.g. avatar, profile photo, bio, links etc).
- Effective private messaging.
- Responsive design, so mobile ready.
- Customizable for areas such as header, footer, etc.
- Has better thread management
- Gives context to discussion (just scroll)
- Information stays there and is easy to find again
- Wiki posts
If you want to learn how to use Discourse forum effectively, it’s worth to check out Discourse documentation here.
Notes Plus Team